Sunday, October 15, 2006

Labora omnia vincit

Some ten minutes ago I finished browsing through the bookshelves behind my father's desk. I was looking for books on the French Revolution, since I intend to write a story based on William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night -- and, perhaps, something else -- set in that bloody time. Our books are in a sad disorder; for instance, beside Studien zur Friedensforschung* I found Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. In the end I came away with:

CDs:
1. Bach's Violin Concertos, with Kolja Blacher, Christine Pichlmeier, Lisa Stewart, and the Cologne Chamber Orchestra directed by Helmut Müller-Brühl
2. Mozart's Flute Concertos, with Jean-Pierre Rampal and the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Zubin Mehta

Books (in order of size):
1. Historia von D. Johann Fausten (chosen because "history" is what I was looking for)
2. Sketching by John Mills (I want to become better at drawing)
3. Zaire by Voltaire (it was mentioned in Maria Edgeworth's Patronage, and I'm assuming that people still read Voltaire during the French Revolution)
4. Doctor Dolittle's Circus by Hugh Lofting (self-explanatory)
5. Trois Contes by Gustave Flaubert (my mother recommended that I read Flaubert's works, and I'm going to try to start with something that isn't about adultery, because that depresses me)
6. Die Grüne Schule by Wilhelm Matthießen (a peculiar but pleasant German children's book, see item 4)
7. Venedig by Sergio Bettini (it has lots of black and white photos -- and I find Venice interesting)

If I finish any of these books I'll be greatly surprised.

* (Studies on Peace Research)

No comments: