Monday, December 18, 2006

Headlessness in Idomeneo

The discussion over the depiction of the severed heads of, among others, the Prophet Muhammad in a new production of the opera Idomeneo at the Deutsche Oper has, I think, gone wholly out of proportion. However, I will still add my two cents.

Here is a translated paragraph from an article by Maximilian Kuball in today's Berliner Zeitung, which expresses my opinion exactly:

"The Islamic Council (Islamrat) will also not send a representative to Berlin. 'It is not clear to me why I should go there," said Ali Kizilkaya, chair (Vorsitzender) of the Islamic Council. 'While I am for freedom in art, that does not mean that you have to take a look at everything.' Besides, the Idomeneo production, he says, is a tasteless performance that fosters a disrespectful treatment of religion. 'I would wish for a debate about the responsible treatment of our various freedoms, in order to create, through sensible balancing, a culture of respect,' remarked Kizilkaya."

No comments: