Saturday, September 22, 2007

Waiting, and waiting, and waiting

It is now well into the middle of September, at which point, as a certain document of the Freie Universität promised the applicants for study in the higher semesters, we are supposed to hear back from the university. At the 20th of September, I firmly resolved to call an end to my dolce vita, and to go on the job search if I have not yet heard from the FU. So I have duly put an end to pajama days, looked on the web for jobs again, and even made the grand sacrifice of stopping my online reading entirely and of going to bed reasonably early. But, if I had expected any reward from fate for these sacrifices, I would have been disappointed, because the mail-box has remained yawningly empty of any university response. I've passed through the stages of anger and sadness, and have now, I believe, arrived at acceptance, though I frequently slip back. After a year of feeling guilty about not doing anything, and then taking endless pains to figure out how to apply, I am considerably tired of waiting. I don't even know if I made some error in my application, which increases the suspense considerably. Of course I can imagine how much paperwork the FU people probably have to deal with, but I think I have a right to be annoyed. I wish that I would finally have something to be happy about again -- or at least something to distract me from being unhappy for no real reason except that my future seems like a bleak and profitless void.

No comments: