Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Musical Interlude

Lately I've started investigating a spate of new pieces on the piano. One of them is the piano part of Felix Mendelssohn's Trio in d minor, which I listen to frequently, and which is among my favourite music. (Altogether I like Mendelssohn's compositions very much, as may already be evident from all the songs without words I've recorded. I think they are imaginative, sensitive, sincere, simple but not stupid, and quite healthy.) So far I've been playing the second movement, which is sentimental in a very satisfactory, wiping-tear-from-corner-
of-eye-and-sighing way, as long as one doesn't cross the fine line to kitsch. Here it is, as performed by the trio of Gregor Piatigorsky, Jascha Heifetz, and Artur Rubinstein, in a 1953(?) film:

No comments: