Saturday, June 15, 2024

Four Days After Falling Off the Bicycle: Taking Stock

Last evening I watched the Germany vs. Scotland opening game of the Euro Cup on my desktop computer, fast-forwarding a bit as I'd only started watching in the 2nd half and live-streamed videos are usually cut off after a while.

In my layperson's view, the Scottish team were not as hopeless as people were saying. For example: they didn't visibly give up as other teams do when the score reaches, say, 3-0.

Cars honked happily in the street outside the apartment building after the full time was played, and above all a few quieter firecrackers or warning pistol shots went off.

In some ways things are getting better for me after the accident. Even my constant headaches went away briefly yesterday, and if I adjust my pillow arrangement exactly right I don't have as stiff of a neck. A 15-minute walk turned out to be invigorating.

And I definitely no longer have a cogent reason not to do Greek homework! Yesterday I read a few pages in the textbook and paid close attention to the weekly video lecture.

But of course I'm still pretty flustered. When my youngest brothers kindly accompanied me yesterday evening on an odyssey to the scene of my accident, it was sobering to realize that unless my brain has retrospectively adjusted my memories of cycling along the blocks between Fasanenstraße and Bleibtreustraße, there was already something off before I fell with the bicycle. The bicycle itself – which we also picked up – is mildly discombobulated, at the handlebar and in the chain and in the alignment of the seat; the brothers and I agreed that it should go to the repair shop for a close look and adjustment before I ride it again.

Receiving an email from the federal job agency inviting me to a video call on July 5th was also a bit startling yesterday, because I didn't remotely feel up to it even if the appointment itself is further away.

Anyway, the best thing to do seems to be to pick up my usual routine, become a little more independent again, and just let things happen as they happen.

No comments: