Friday, March 31, 2006

A Work-Wake

Since my progress on my History essay during the day was not particularly great, I decided at about 10:30 to go to the Commonsblock of my residence and work there all night. I packed up the books, brought along a small bottle of Perrier, and prepared to concentrate.

My idea worked out well. At first I rather struggled through the pages of Romanticism and the Social Order 1780-1830, though it's written in an easily readable style. Then I decided to turn to the entry on the nineteenth century in a history of music. This I found extremely interesting and very well written, and I followed the careers of Beethoven, Schubert, Weber, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Chopin and Wagner with interest, some of their compositions coming to mind as I read. I wanted to play the piano in the lounge rather badly, but I didn't want to play when there were people there; there were, however, at least five staying up as well as late as 2:15, when I left. Before I left, I did play on the piano in one of the music rooms for about five minutes, and consumed a chocolate bar from a vending machine.

Back in my room I read about another paragraph of the entry on Wagner, with restored attention, but I had soon had enough. I'm not sure if it's mostly due to prejudice or not, but at any rate he gets on my nerves. And he certainly had a monumental ego.

So then I decided to go to sleep. It was lovely to be able to do so, and I woke up at about 9:50, which I consider an excellent time.

I've begun to type my actual essay, and I've figured out the structure nicely.

Let's see what happens! My History tutorial, in which I promised to hand the essay in, is at 1:00. I'll go for breakfast shortly, and then it'll be a "sprint to the finish."

No comments: