Saturday, June 24, 2006

Football and Reminiscences

I've just finished following the World Cup soccer match between Argentina and Mexico (2-1). It was quite close, with half an hour of overtime and everything, though I'd read that the Argentinian team was favoured to win from the outset. Before that I followed the game between Germany and Sweden (2-0). There were minute-by-minute reports at www.guardian.co.uk and www.nytimes.com; the former were livelier but the latter were in better taste.

In between the clicks of the reload button, I sorted out old papers from kindergarten through Grade 6. It's a nice, thoughtful activity, and there are nice finds here and there. But most of all I'm struck by my monumental conceit, particularly concerning my knowledge and talents. I apparently even gave lots of suggestions to the teachers for running the class, which they took with perfect good humour as far as I remember.

This morning I woke up before 6:00 to help unpack the last truckload of belongings into the container to be shipped to Germany. It didn't take long and I didn't have to wait long for my refreshing morning shower. As for the hard work of yesterday, that's the subject of another post . . .

No comments: