Saturday, August 23, 2008

Notes from the Wanderpfad, II

I arrived in Nürnberg in the afternoon, after a very agreeable train ride. When I got here, I went to the tourist information centre, and was told that there are two hostels in the town: the one on the Kaiserburg, where the Holy Roman Emperors once lived, and a backpacker's hotel near the train station. So I duly trekked up to the Kaiserburg, asked at the hostel and found that they had no one by that name, and duly took a tour of the battlements (which were impressively broad, but the red stone was so neatly flattened and squared that I feel sure that much of it has been rebuilt). Then I (and hundreds of other tourists, among them an amazingly large contingent of -- if I have my popular culture down properly -- aficionados of punk rock) decided to take a long winding tour down the streets, over the charming river (polluted as heck, of course, and twice because my orientation was a trifle off), past the churches and over the square (where fresh Lebkuchen are still to be sold), and then back down to the information centre, where Internet Explorer on the free computers still failed to load.

So now I'm in an internet café in the train station. But Google Mail is deeply incompatible with Mexx Solutions (more like Mexx Problems (c: ), so I could read my friend's bewildered emails (she has left Nürnberg for Würzburg, and may come back, or may not) but not send any reply to her. Maddening.

I have a great deal more to write about, but I don't want to take too long, so it will have to wait.

No comments: