Thursday, March 05, 2009

Bulletin from the Chinese Frontier

The first week of my Chinese, specifically Mandarin, course is well underway, and in many aspects I quite enjoy it. Each lesson begins at 10 a.m. and goes on to 1 p.m. (except on Thursdays), excluding two ten-minute breaks, taking place in the same TU building where I signed up for the course. T. (who is enrolled in a French course) and I go to the TU together via the bus and the U-Bahn (or only via the bus), and for the first two lessons I walked home by myself afterwards. There are altogether six students in the class, perhaps my age or a little older, and for once I don't feel any marked difference in maturity. Everyone is quite nice. Besides, for once my fears of speaking in class and of being disliked are pretty much nonexistent. I don't care and it feels good.

Yesterday I admittedly had a bit of a meltdown and ended up not going to the lesson, because I've felt sleepwalker-ish and unlike myself and very tired. The evening before I had tried to learn new characters and hadn't managed to do it because my mind was too saturated and muddled. So, having gone to sleep at perhaps 1 a.m., I slept and slept for eleven or twelve hours, then was up for an hour or two, then went to sleep again for at least six hours. Afterward I indulged in a thorough course of customary relaxing activities, like reading newspaper articles and online books, telling myself to let go the tension and the anxieties regarding my homework, and then went to sleep again until 5 a.m. Now I feel beautifully regenerated, and am ready to go at it again. There is roughly an hour left for me to become up-to-date on our work. Hopefully I didn't miss too much.

Anyway, apologies for this vague and general post; I hope to write something more specific and interesting soon.

No comments: