Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Minor Exodus from the Embassy, and Violin

In preparation for travelling to Canada this year (or afterward, as the case may be) I went to the embassy this morning to submit applications for the 'proof of citizenship' that we'll need before we can even apply for a passport. But after trying to clear matters up with the guard at the door, he said that I needed a Canadian passport or an appointment, or I wasn't getting in. (My brothers and sister had no problems getting in without them.)

It was disappointing especially since it was a large sacrifice of time, anxiety and effort in the morning before another intense day at work. Due to an accident, the team I work in had to sort through over ten thousand pictures in three days, and also sometimes research them further on the internet, in addition to the usual workload. It caused considerable pressure and I didn't enjoy it.

So I have felt insecure and perturbed all day...

That said, the colleagues cheered me up a bit, and at lunch I was able to practice more violin. While I do have a little time to practice before work, I tend to not want to practice too early so as not to disturb the neighbours. Beginner's violin being particularly risky, I think. So I asked a human resources colleague if she knew where I might be able to practice, and there's a small conference room that, when it's not otherwise in use, I can take. The point of the whole thing is that I want to try playing in an amateur orchestra in less than a month's time, and until then I feel the need to make rapid progress in acquiring a few rudiments. Contrary to my insouciant approach to the formal requirements of piano performance, I want to make this work, because not being able to count beats well or produce a proper tone would be an infernal mess in an ensemble. Which admittedly hasn't inspired me to similar efforts when playing piano trios and the like... mostly because the piano score helpfully shows everyone else's part of the music, too, so that I almost always know where to chip in my part.

In the evening I listened to Bruch's violin concerto, with Yehudi Menuhin, and otherwise tried to forget that this morning ever happened!

No comments: