Wednesday, May 16, 2007

One Tiny Step for Man . . .

This sunny morning I woke up early for two reasons: the visit of an American relative, and a job interview. The relative, the cousin of my grandfather, arrived shortly before I had to leave, and now he is resting in the corner room to shake off the usual transatlantic crossing strain.

Shortly after nine I left, took the U-Bahn, and set off for the Einstein Coffee Shop offices in the Franklinstraße. It's at least two long blocks away from Ernst Reuter Platz, so I had a long walk down the Marchstraße into the Franklinstraße, carefully looking at all the street numbers. It's mostly an industrial area, except for two or so buildings of the Technische Uni (TU). For 15 there was simply a sign on a fence beside a cobblestone driveway that sloped down to the Spree River. I took the plunge and navigated (with the help of inquiries) through the old brick building complex -- which must have been a factory at one point, but now presents a clean and respectable aspect -- until I found the office for the coffee shops. Soon the interview began in a small office, white and airy but with a comfortable amount of clutter, with a woman who reminded me of one of my aunts -- refined and a little reserved, with rather nice eyes. She asked me first for a resumé, so I was very glad that I had the common sense to prepare and bring one. Then she asked me a few questions based on it, for example what I planned to study here. And she also informed me about what my job would entail, e.g. the pay, the hours (any time between 6 am and 1 am, I think), and the strong contrast in workload between rainy and sunny days. Then I had to fill out a form, with my address, bank account and health insurance, etc. Here, again, I was glad that I had thought to bring my health insurance card along. Then it was finished, and the interviewer repeated that I would know whether I have the job on Friday.

As I regained the street, there was someone coming in the opposite direction, who then paused and asked two passersby about the street number 15. I was quite sure that she was coming for the next job interview, also because she was dressed up and student-age. The passersby waved her in the right direction, but gave no further details. She walked on, as I debated internally whether to guide her through the labyrinth to the office or not. I felt that it would be embarrassing to turn back and accost her, and said to myself that she'd find the place anyway. So I just kept on going to the U-Bahn station. But I felt very guilty then and still feel guilty now. Besides being lazy and displaying false shame, my intent on a certain level possibly was to sabotage the other candidate's chances by making her late. There are many ways I could argue that I was simply acting naturally and logically, or that it was a rushed situation, but I would know that it would be sophistry. Anyway, if I am in that kind of situation again I'll hopefully remember this incident and do differently.

On the whole, at any rate, I am glad that the job interview is over. I was nervous about it, but I forgot about it as much as I could until it came down to the wire, so that I would be relaxed today, and that approach worked.

No comments: