Saturday, October 28, 2017

18th Century Feasting

The feast is behind me, and in the end I believe it was questionable as a source of knowledge about the 18th century, but a roaring triumph as an enjoyable oddity.

The menu:

Breads
Oaten 'Schulbrot' and Kastenbrötchen, from the bakery
French Bread, homemade
Wiggs Seed Cakes, homemade, sugary and with caraway seeds
Dutch/Lower Rhenish honey cake
served with Butter and Apricot marmalade

Drinks
Switchel
(drink of water, honey, powdered ginger and apple cider vinegar)
Sparkling mineral water
Apple juice
Rhenish white wine
Pale beer
Hefeweizen beer
Tea
Coffee

Accompaniment
Toasted American pecan nuts
Grapes, red and green
Purple plums
Apples
Apple chips
Dried apple rings, store-bought and homemade
Clementine
Walnuts, in the shell

Main Course
Roast Chicken with Bread Stuffing and marjoram, thyme and rosemary sauce
Rice, steamed
Lettuce and Spinach Salad with vinaigrette
Baked pumpkin, Rondini and Hokkaido
Cornbread, homemade

Dessert
Pfeffernüsse
Spekulatius
Nürnberger Lebkuchen
Dominosteine
(German Christmas delicacies)

The wiggs seed cakes and the cornbread were too dry, although the former tasted delicious in my opinion, so I will have to introspect about what went wrong. I did notice that the homemade yeasty 'barm' foamed up nicely, probably indicating an active yeast culture, after all my doughs had been made; this partly explains the seed cakes, perhaps. I had read a warning that 'cornmeal' in American Revolution times was a wetter product than the store-bought polenta we have now. At least Mama, kindly, remarked that 'the colour looked good'! By the end of the day, in any case, I was so happily replete that I felt great reluctance to speak of food any more.

No comments: