Monday, September 28, 2020

Hoarfrost, Early and Figurative

On Saturday and on Sunday morning I was in a rather fabulous mood, which turned into what I used to consider an 'emo' mood.

It has kept up, although during the middle of the day I felt briefly cheerful, and so this evening I listened to the aria "Lascia chi's pianga" by Georg Friedrich Handel. Montserrat Caballé fudges a few of the transitions between notes, or so I think, but for the clarity and brilliance of her tones I like her performance [YouTube] a lot. The less said about the piano accompaniment from a compositional point of view, the better; there has to be a more original and striking arrangement.

In a similar vein, I looked up the lyrics in Wikipedia and found that they're tedious in the more popular version. An earlier version, however, by Cardinal Benedetto Pamphili, sounded pretty good to me:

Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa;
tu vai cercando il tuo dolor.
Canuta brina per mano ascosa,
giungerà quando nol crede il cuor.

In roughly translated English: 'Leave the thorn and cull the rose; you seek out your pain. Hoarfrost through a hidden hand will come when the heart least expects it.'

Lascia ch'io pianga [Wikipedia]

Anyway, I need to 'wind down' and go to sleep. To sound narcissistic, in the age of video calls at the workplace, amongst all the other, more important symptoms of stress, one can't help but notice if one's facial skin is in bad condition from lack of sleep.

No comments: