Wednesday, August 31, 2022

The 2022 Layoff Fashion Trend

Today we were expecting a video call announcement from the overall CEO of the company, but instead we received an email after the lunch hour. It was long and euphemistic, but eventually explained that over 1,000 people will lose their jobs due to The Macroeconomic Situation.

Right after that, we received more specific emails relating to the situation not internationally, but specifically in Europe and then specifically at our part of the company.

It was disgruntling to read that the colleagues who are laid off will already have all their email and Slack accounts shuttered tomorrow. We might not realize for days which of our work friends or acquaintances have 'disappeared.'

I was told this afternoon specifically not to tell anyone in my team if they were fired or not. This was awkward because I was already making exceptions for my team if anyone reported feeling acutely anxious. And I felt that the managing director had been quite fine with my telling people they were safe.

Anyway, this is all standard practice in large companies, so I'm not saying this to complain about my employer.

It's just a terrible situation generally. Even while as someone who's not being laid off or making decisions to fire anyone, I feel I have no right to complain about my part.

No comments: