Friday, January 08, 2010

Straightening Up and Flying Right

On Wednesday I took the grand step of taking the U-Bahn to Fehrbelliner Platz and there obtaining my Red Card (Rote Karte or Gesundheitspass or Belehrung gemäß [squiggly s] 34 des Infektionsschutzgesetzes, if I remember the jargon properly), which is not a Communist Party membership but a health pass which clears me for work in the food service industry. What it requires is paying 14 Euros and then sitting through a ca. 18 minute informational video about food safety and then a short lecture on the same subject by a person from the municipal health authority, with a group of 12 or so others. At the end of it we were handed the Rote Karte and sent on our merry way. The point of the exercise is that I've been thinking of following Mama's and T.'s footsteps by dishwashing at schools for an organic catering service.I am still summoning the courage to apply, but should have done so within the following month. After having obtained the pass, which followed a sleepless night and the beginnings of a cold, I slept for some twenty-four hours with a two-hour interruption, by the way; I am prouder of the second feat than the first, probably also because the first requires additional action. Other than that life has not been that exciting, though I did print out a free score of Liszt's Liebestraum No. 3 from the internet and have been learning that for about a week. (Thereby checking off one more, reasonably nice warhorse of the piano repertoire.)

No comments: