Wednesday, April 19, 2006

After-Easter Exam #1: German

Yesterday evening I came back to the university campus after a restful week at home. In the literal sense, it was not so restful toward the end because I had stayed up all night under the delusion that I would work on my Archaeology essay. So I slept from 7:00 in the evening until about 9:50 this morning, when I arose a very relaxed and profoundly happy person.

Consequently, I was in the ideal frame of mind for my German 310 exam, which would take place at noon. I showered, put on a CD of Beethoven's cello sonatas (of which I am presently especially fond), did a little last-minute cramming, ate lunch, double-checked the exam location through the Internet, and arrived in the exam room just in time.

The exam covered the course unusually fairly. It had, as far as I can remember, the following components (not necessarily in the right order):

1. Work short phrases or words (like "jedoch" or "mehrmals") into pre-existing sentences.
2. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate preposition for the verb (e.g. sich befassen mit).
(I wrote "forschen ueber" rather than "forschen nach." Oops.)
3. Rewrite direct sentences into the indirect. And vice versa.
4. Rewrite the sentences into the Konjunktiv II.
5. Rewrite sentence pairs into single sentences using a relative pronoun.
6. In at least two sentences, answer questions about the poem "Der Mond ist aufgegangen" by Matthias Claudius.
(I already knew this poem in lullaby form, and I like it very much, so I was pleased to see it. I did wonder if anyone who is strictly non-Christian would be offended by its inclusion in the exam.)
7. Short essay answering a question about one of four course readings/films.
(I wrote about the reasons why the main character of the film Das schreckliche Maedchen criticizes the older generation.)

Altogether, I estimate that my mark will be about 83%.

No comments: