Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Meditations on Laziness, Walking, etc.

This morning I woke up shortly after 11:00 realizing that I've been horribly wimpy this term, and that I really have no problems to speak of. If I'm really underchallenged or whatever, I should just do other things on the side that help me. If I'm getting behind in my homework, then I should just do what I can instead of moping. As for my fear of sliding back into a lonely depression like in my teenage years, I should get a grip.

I haven't done any work yet, but I intend to do so as soon as I've finished writing this post and checking my e-mail. I did take a walk around the north end of the university campus, with my excellent camera. The university's chapel is there, a simple building of stone and wood and large glass windows. I went inside. It had a wooden floor, a wooden loft in the back, comfortable chairs, a Persian rug, a tan-coloured baptismal/holy water font, and a wooden cabinet with saints painted on the small doors in dark red and gold and so on, like a Russian icon. I liked it. Then I went on to a building site, where I didn't know how to get out without retracing my steps. But by walking through a building and ducking under the warning tape behind, it I did get out and ended up, much to my surprise, at the bus loop. Then I sat on a shaded bench for a while and meditated; then I returned to my room. It is incidentally sunny today, with a fiercely blue sky, but there is also a cool breeze.

Before that I had also played the piano -- pieces from the Well-Tempered Clavier, bits from Mozart sonatas, and nearly all of Beethoven's sonata in d minor (?), at any rate Op.31 No.2.

Anyway, I should get to my Romanticism essay and then to my Macroeconomics notes and the laundry now.

1 comment:

Gnomey said...

Indeed, you are rather the Hermit. :-) You are being somewhat hard on yourself at the start. Come, don't be so self-depricating, in short, 'get a grip' ;-)