Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The End of the University Year

This is my second full day back at home after the end of my second year in university, and the last one I'll spend at UBC.

After-Easter Exam #3 was Macroeconomics, which I duly wrote on the 24th. It began at 8:30. I had stayed up all night before, studying. This studying consisted of carefully reading through the textbook, writing down key terms and their definitions on flashcards, and copying down important graphs and information that I'd forgotten. Unfortunately I only managed to cover the first chapter and some of the second with this approach.

At around 7:00 I dropped off some books at the Koerner Library. There was basically no one in the streets. I stood for a while at the Koerner Plaza looking at the bright golden sky through the leafless trees beside the Main Library (or what's left of it). Eventually the sun, a liquid gold globe, glowed through the trees just above the horizon. It was all very beautiful. After I returned to my room, I went to the cafeteria for a hurried breakfast -- a Belgian waffle with berry sauce and whipped cream, and strawberry yoghurt.

Then I hurried off to the other end of the campus, where the exam would be taking place. I was about ten minutes early, despite my worries of being only just in time. The first questions on the exam -- multiple choice -- went swimmingly because I had studied the chapters where they came up. As for the rest of the exam, it was hopeless. After I'd done the questions I could answer more or less securely, I propped up my head with my hand and had a little nap. When I woke up again I found some questions easier to answer. I took a stab at all the questions that I could answer decently, then left.

I couldn't help grinning very broadly as I left the exam room. First of all, I was done with the exam. Secondly, I was going home within two hours. My father was coming to fetch me at about 11:15. So I returned to my room, finished packing, brought away the recycling and so on, checked out at my residence's front desk, and then I was done!

Since then I've still been in an excellent mood -- energetic and enterprising. Yesterday I learned a little Italian (numbers, mostly: venti, trenta, quaranta, cinquanta, etc.), cooked breakfast and dinner, played the piano, and worked on a family newspaper. I hope the good mood will last.

P.S.: The History exam post is really from April 22nd. I just hadn't been able to post it before.

No comments: